Data Scientist - Python
What should you eat to be healthier? We are combining science, large scale data and machine learning to tell you what to eat based on your unique metabolism.
Join us in tackling wide-ranging technical challenges from DNA analysis, to machine learning, to building products for web scale. We are a well-funded and novel start-up evolved from a team that has built billion-dollar revenue businesses from scratch. We have beaten Google on its home turf of machine learning for advertising, and our ambitious team is comprised with the top 1% most cited scientists in the world.
We are going to generate terabytes of health data from our own clinical studies and direct consumer engagement. We will design and build systems first to collect, store, analyse and predict this data, then to help customers understand and follow their evolving personalised nutritional recommendations. We are building our data processing and analysis pipeline from scratch with Python data science / machine learning toolkits running on top of AWS and following an agile development approach with Jira, daily stand-ups and git.
As a Data Scientist you will:
- Bring scientific rigor and statistical methodology to the quality of our data; helping to build processes and systems to improve it. e.g. How should we exclude or weight data? How to change our data collection processes to improve data quality?
- Perform in depth analyses to address key project questions, using existing features to answer practical questions e.g. Good restaurant recommendations; making sensible food swap suggestions
- Analyse variability and repeatability in the data to understand prediction potential
- Present and communicate your results to both scientific and business audiences.
- Adhere to Back-End engineering practices, and production and deployment standards
- Intellectual curiosity - we are looking for the smartest and best
- BSc or Master’s degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics or equivalent) Machine Learning is a bonus
- We expect this person to be engineering data science models with exposure to Python, Scikit Learn, PyMC3, Jupiter, Numpy, /Pandas.
- Experience producing synthetic conclusions of analytical work - you should be able to summarise your conclusions in a clear presentation.
- Pragmatic approach to problem solving; we have many things to investigate, and need to prioritise.
- Any understanding of the health consequences of biological data, e.g. research literature on which gut bacteria species drive which health outcomes - would be advantageous.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to make the world healthier, and have fun learning about cutting-edge science across biology and genomics
- An exciting early-stage start-up environment, without the funding worries, and with a commercial team that has built billion-dollar revenue businesses
- A crucial role as one of the first ten colleagues in a truly world-class multidisciplinary team
- Competitive salaries and share options